Getting involved with LSESU helps you make the most of your time as a student here. The Participation Fund exists to removing financial barriers to participation by covering the costs of activities within the LSESU.
Here are some examples of how the LSESU Participation Fund can support you:
- Covering club/society membership and participation costs
- Funding a club/society trip
- Purchasing sports kit/equipment
This is not an exhaustive list and awards will be at the discretion of the Students’ Union.
Students can receive up to £500 per academic year. (Any requests above £500 will need to be signed off by the Activities & Development Officer).
The fund is aimed at students who would not be able to participate without a funding award and therefore evidence of hardship is required.
Each application will be judged on its own merit however the below criteria must be met:
1) Why you can’t afford to participate - This would normally be through a bank statement and an outline of your current (and expected) income.
2) Why the activity will have a positive impact on your university experience - There are lots of benefits to participation, from personal development to community building, and so we haven’t limited the type of LSESU activities covered. It is up to you to explain what the activity would add to your experience here.
3) The amount(s) requested are reasonable - You will need to provide evidence of the activity costs and, if you are applying for money for an item, you should ensure good value by carrying out a price comparison exercise.
You should complete the Participation Fund application form and submit it, along with evidence, to email@example.com or to our reception desk on the 3rd floor of the Saw Swee Hock building.
What evidence is required?
You will need to provide a copy of one month’s worth of bank statements (for all accounts you own). You will also need to provide evidence of the cost of the activity in question. This could be via a screenshot of a website or a copy of an email with the organiser.
Can someone help me with my application?
If you have any questions about the application process then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I apply for money to set up an event myself?
No, you should use the Students’ Union Fund to apply for funding for new initiatives such as events and projects.
Can I apply for money to cover my living costs?
No, you should use the LSESU Advice Service’s Hardship Fund if you are unable to cover living costs, such as food and rent.