Chat with us
The Beaver is the official newspaper of the LSE Students' Union. Founded in 1949, we have a long history of substantive news coverage and insightful commentary - but we are also far more than just a newsroom.
Our team consists of casual contributors, staff writers, editors, illustrators, podcastors, photographers - and more.
Publishing daily online (and sometimes in print), we have a variety of sections to write and produce content for:
- News - the place to go for LSE or university-related news.
- Opinion - our section for opinion articles, stimulating debate and offering a diverse range of views, from what it means to be working class at uni to debating the need for a beef ban on campus.
- Features - long-form journalism, including our investigative work, running stories from interviews with politicians and influential people to investigations uncovering the mistreatment of LSE's cleaners.
Flipside is The Beaver's magazine section. Its parts include:
- Part B - our showcase for arts and culture. Poetry, prose, photography, art - it all goes here.
- Social - the witty side of Flipside, with satire, lifestyle pieces, and columns about sex.
- Review - the place to go for hearing about the best albums to listen to, to the best films to watch, to the best dating apps to try.
- Sport - the section to prove that athletes are literate.
We also create a variety of podcasts under the name of Beaver Sounds, from showcasing LSE events in 'LSE Limelight', to 'Guftagu' which highlights South Asian issues in collaboration with LSESU's Pakistan Society.
This coming year, the Beaver is expanding its digital presence through video content and animation. We’re looking to build a team of presenters, producers and editors, regardless of previous experience.
Your free membership to the Beaver allows you to stay up to date with our latest work and allows you to join the Beaver team.
As part of the Beaver team, you can apply to be a staff writer for any section, in which you'll write articles or help out with a podcast around a couple times a month - with the help of our editors of course. You’re also welcome to run for an editorial position in our hustings (election meeting) a few weeks into term. You don't need any previous writing or journalism experience to run, just a passion for whichever section you want to run for and a love to write!
If writing isn't your thing, we'd love you to help out with illustrations, photography, or copyediting. Anyone is welcome!
Events and Activities
Over the year we will have a variety of socials and events (depending on social distancing guidelines), including:
- Michaelmas term hustings and social
- Intro to Podcasting
- Intro to Features
and more on the way!
The Beaver is really excited to welcome new members and will be doing Q&As on our Instagram @beaveronline (make sure to follow us there too).
We are also planning to have a Zoom call on Tuesday 29th September at 7pm, where we will introduce you to the Beaver newspaper as well as giving you an opportunity to ask us any questions.
By purchasing our free membership you will also get an email with the password and link, or alternatively you can DM us on Instagram or drop us an email at editor@thebeaveronline to RVSP.