Chat with us
Being the first society of its kind in London, Competition Law Society is one of the newest and most active academic societies within the LSE. At this point, the average undergraduate student may be thinking, ‘what even is competition law?’ By way of an introduction, competition law (or antitrust law at it is known in the US) is an area of law that seeks to promote market competition by regulating the conduct of companies. What’s the point? For the benefit of consumers, like you and I, to be delivered higher quality goods and services at lower prices. In the headlines, Apple’s recent controversial triumph over the EU state aid battle over Irish tax structure is just one example where competition comes into play.
So, what does Competition Law Society do? Set up in January 2019, during just half an academic year, the Society held seven talks and special events with leading competition law practitioners, both on-site of the LSE campus and off-site at prominent competition venues. We hope to continue the interesting work in a similar vein this year, responding flexibly to the demands of the current Covid-19 climate. Hosting eminent competition lawyers may take place on alternative platforms, but a contingency plan is being prepared as both lawyers and the LSE adapts to the new normal. The range of activities engaged in by the Society is expanding: last year, our members were supported to participate in the annual HSF Competition Law Moot for the first time and made a great first step. In short, we largely host amazing talks and networking events with eminent competition lawyers, alongside other competition-related opportunities.
Why should you join? The unrivalled merit of the Society is the direct access you will get to leading experts. Located in the heart of London, there will be endless opportunities to increase your professional network. To illustrate, a highlight last year was when a selected group of our Society members were received by the UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) on a special meeting to discuss public policy and consumer welfare. In short, the Society is for anyone who is interested in a legal or otherwise commercial career, with interests in other relevant fields, such as intellectual property, public policy, and regulation of new technologies. If the above appeared appealing to complement a fulfilling university life, join us.
The Society has a single annual membership fee of £1.50. As a member, you will have the opportunity to attend the talks and other events the Society holds. Further, members will be able to run for Committee positions during election periods.
Events and Activities
Over the course of the year, we arrange a number of interesting events. Past events have included:
- the Launch event with an Antitrust Counsel at Diageo as guest speaker
- the annual Meet & Greet event by the Society Committee
- a Christmas drinks event with the Society Committee and members
- the entry of an LSE team in the Herbert Smith Freehills Competition Law Moot 2020
- a roundtable with a Professor of Law at King's College London, the Deputy Chair of the Enforcement Decision Making Committee at the Bank of England, and a Commissioner at Argentina's NCDC on unlocking digital competition
- talks with Partners and Associates from: DLA Piper LLP, David Polk & Wardwell LLP, Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, and Marval, O’Farrell & Mairal
- talks with speakers from: Anheuser-Busch InBev, UK Competition Markets Authority, Office of Communications, and Argentina's National Commission for the Defence of Competition
- visits to: UK Competition Markets Authority and UK Competition Appeal Tribunal.
The Committee is really excited to welcome new members and we have created dedicated social media channels or any questions you have:
Welcome to the 2023/24 AU page.
Make sure you buy an AU membership to gain full access to all the exclusive events and campaigns the AU will be hosting this year!
Follow us on Instagram, our main platform of communication, at @lseathleticsunion to stay up to date with the latest and greatest.
We hope you are all looking forward to this year’s Golden Era!