Chat with us
FOUNDED IN 2002, THE LSE SU CHINA DEVELOPMENT SOCIETY (CDS) STRIVES TO PROMOTE A GLOBAL UNDERSTANDING OF CHINA.
As the pioneer organisation on campus to focus on issues surrounding China's development and rapidly changing landscape, we have established ourselves as one of the few highly respected societies on campus with a membership base of over 3000 students, alumni and professionals.
We are also collaborating with many premium organisations, which includes the LSE Asia Research Centre, the Confucius Institute for Business London, the LSE Department of Economics, the 48 Group Club and the China Britain Business Council.
We aspire to become one of the most influential China-oriented student bodies in Europe and our goal is to nurture and empower the leaders of tomorrow. We believe that through the dedication of every executive committee, our society can eventually build the ideal platform for people to acquire a better and more impartial understanding of China through facilitating free exchange of information and ideas, as well as to prepare those who wish to contribute to China’s future development for the challenges lying ahead.
With a long-standing vision to ‘Bridge Perspectives and Opportunities’, our society has laid a great emphasis on organising intellectually stimulating public lectures, informative corporate presentations, large-scale conferences and networking sessions for our members and the wider public.
As a member, you'll get the opportunity to meet loads of like-minded, dedicated and awesome individuals that will become your friends for life. You will also receive:
- Weekly update on our selection of "A Week in Review", briefing you on the important political, economic, and social issues in China in the past week.
- Priority reservations and discounts (if the event requires paid tickets) of our academic and career events such as CDF, CBBF, BMS, Monthly Panels, Spring Week Panels, Mock Assessment Centre, and so on.
- Access to our panel/interview transcripts and recordings
- Access to our "Insight Articles" which provide you with perspective opinions on economic and policy changes in China.
- Right to vote for our Excutive Board Election.
Events and Activities
The LSE SU China Development Forum (CDF), co-organised by the LSE SU China Development Society and the LSE Institute of Global Affairs, was first founded in 2009. Now in its 12th year, the Forum has grown phenomenally to become the largest China-themed forum in Europe, with an audience of nearly 400.
Our around-the-year events are at the centre of the society’s working effort. We aim to maximize our members’ experience by offering them a broad spectrum of informative and vibrant activities. Taking “academics”, “career” and “social” as our three main focuses, our flagship events include Bridging Minds Symposium, Chinese New Year Festival, North-Korea Forum, Internship Panels etc.
We have successfully invited many renowned speakers in our forums and events, and we have secured a good relationship with many of them. The following is a partial list of our past speakers.
- Professor Eric S. Maskin, Nobel Laureate and Professor of Economics at Harvard University
- Professor Erik Berglof, Inaugural Director of the IGA at LSE, Chief Economist at Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- Professor Zhang Weiying, Professor and Former Head of the Guanghua School of management at Peking University
- Mr. Kevin Rudd, Former Prime Minister of Australia
- Sir Vince Cable, Former Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, Former Head of Liberal Democratic Party of the UK
- Baron Turner of Ecchinswell, Former Chairman of the Financial Services Authority, UK
- Dr. Jim O'Neill, Former Chairman of Goldman Sachs Asset Management
- Mr. Mark Tucker, Group Chairman of HSBC Holdings plc.
- Mr. Joe Kaeser, CEO of Siemens
You can contact us on: