Chat with us
The LSESU Gaming Society is an LSESU Gold STARS award-winning society dedicated to bringing together gamers of all levels of experience, across every console and platform. From AAA blockbusters to Goat Simulator, and everything in between, we play all types of games and welcome everyone who plays them or wants to start. We hold weekly casual meet-ups throughout the year and, in normal times, often magically end up at a pub. Whether you’d like to bring your own set-up and play with adoring fans, chat about your day (and the games you’re playing to escape from reading & internships), or just use us for our games (I thought we had something special…) sign up and come visit!
Our society has:
- A High-End Gaming PC
- A Nintendo Switch
- An Xbox One
- A Playstation 5
- A Nintendo Wii U (and Wii)
- A Nintendo Gamecube
- And an insane library of games
For esports fans, we are developing competitive teams in the following 7 games: DoTA 2, League of Legends, CSGO, Overwatch, Rocket League, Hearthstone and Smash. These teams will compete in inter-university tournaments under the NUEL and NSE.GG leagues for prizes and bragging rights (which may also include free pints at the pub tbc). We also hold viewing parties for major esports tournaments and have our own yearly 24 hour charity live stream (also known as our yearly Stanford Prison experiment).
We attend many major UK conventions, including MCM Comic Con and EGX (Eurogamer), with some of our more passionate members going in cosplay.
We also have close affiliations with other London gaming societies. This year, we’ve teamed up with other Central London universities in our biggest inter-collegiate partnership yet -- CLUE (Central London University Esports). Recently, we held a CLUE 24-hour Charity Stream and fundraised for the Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charity in support of the fight against COVID-19. The activity was for a great cause, and participating members had lots of fun. As a Gaming Society member, you’ll be able to participate in inter-collegiate events like this, and feel part of an even greater and wider community not just in LSE. You’ll also have the opportunity to join our esports teams and represent the university in tournaments against these formidable opponents, and other universities across the UK.
If you have any questions about the society or our event line-up, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or message our Facebook Page.
As a member, you’ll have access to our consoles and equipment, as well as our vast Steam library containing over 300 games. We also hold regular and varied events (see our events section!) which members are welcome to attend -- there’s always something for everyone!
This year, we’ll be holding monthly raffles and game-specific giveaways for our members. Prizes include gift cards, in-game currency, as well as merchandise. You’ll also get a say in our game survey, where you get to tell us what games you want to play/you would like the society to invest in.
Finally, for the career-savvy LSE student (aren’t we all!), the LSESU Gaming Society is proud to have broad connections with the gaming industry. In the past, we’ve hosted a ‘Women in Gaming Business Panel’, forged a partnership with Wanyoo Gaming Cafe and look to have more industry events with the likes of CLUE.
Events and Activities
The Gaming Society will take its online presence to even greater heights for the Michaelmas Term. We will focus on:
- Delivering community-based games such as Minecraft, and party games like Jackbox where anyone and everyone can jump in and have some fun (and show off their amazing drawing skills in Drawful or Skribbl.io, because LSE is obviously famous for its Art degree...)
- Expanding our community on Discord as everyone participates from their homes.
- Streaming live games for members to participate in.
- Streaming online pub quizzes, where you get to put your perceived-to-be-useless knowledge of video games to some good use! We are also seeking to do this in collaboration with other societies.
- Holding online matches for esports.
We hope that the Lent Term will allow in-person activities to resume; from then onwards, we will deliver a mixture of in-person and online events:
- Our annual flagship event is the 24-hour Charity Livestream. Over the past years we’ve fundraised for SpecialEffect, a charity dedicated to developing technologies to support those with disabilities to play video games. In 2020, we raised roughly £1100 in total -- be sure to check the footage on our YouTube channel!
- Work with The Three Tuns in the SU building to host Mario Kart and FIFA competitions.
- Continue to have an online presence with community events, and spice things up a bit with some much-needed (funny) nostalgia through Club Penguin/Habbo Hotel.
- Do follow us on our social media to keep up to date with our latest activities!
We use Facebook and Discord as our primary platforms. We are open to DMs at any time throughout the year and would love for you to get in touch if you have any questions, want to have a casual chat, or want to 3-stock a committee member playing Kirby on Final Destination (no items)/win against a committee member on Mario Kart. (Last one not recommended.)
Please don’t hesitate to simply join our Discord server and ping/DM one of the committee members.
We will be hosting dedicated meetings on Discord throughout the evenings of the second week of Michaelmas Term where you can ask the committee anything!
If email is more your thing, contact us on email@example.com