Chat with us
We’re the Clare Market Review, LSESU’s very own in-house creative magazine! Formed at the LSE in 1905, the Clare Market Review is the oldest student-run journal in the UK, publishing the best of the creative talent at the LSE in a biannual print magazine. If you’re interested in writing, visual art, photography, as well as music, fashion, politics or culture, the Clare Market Review is the perfect outlet to showcase your passions to the University and beyond.
We believe in allowing all students to exercise their creativity, and our submissions are open to all students at the LSE for consideration. Issues of the journal are centred around specific themes, allowing students to create work to a brief and think outside of the box. Past issues have discussed the themes of Nostalgia, Maximalism, Silence, the Artificial and Mental Health.
Our social events revolve around these issues, culminating in our popular Issue Launch Parties for each issue, showcasing the final journal along with student recitals, exhibitions, guest speakers, drinks and more! As well as this, during 2023/24 we intend to hold social events with the creative community, poetry recitals, art exhibitions and panel discussions about society, culture and the arts.
Join us today to get involved, whether in creating your own work or joining the editorial team in creating the magazine! Opportunities at Clare allow members to learn new skills valuable for careers in media and the arts, as well as developing personal creative interests. Our home in the SU Media Centre along with other media groups allows us to teach and practice skills in design and publishing software, come up with ideas and edit and discuss submitted work.
We will be recruiting committee and team members at the beginning of Michaelmas term - the magazine and the team is constantly evolving, and we encourage you to share all ideas and skills that you may have!
Membership of Clare is completely free! As a media group, membership of the magazine is free of charge and secures you full access to the mailing list, giving you first notice of new calls for submissions, issue launch parties and any new opportunities and activities. Members will have exclusive opportunities to join socials, reserved tickets for launch parties, and opportunities to work with the editorial team on their personal work and the magazine. Members are encouraged to come discuss their work and ideas with the editorial team to develop their work, and can attend editorial sessions tailored to members, allowing members to learn the necessary software and skills to edit, curate and design the magazine and its content.
Events and Activities
- Over the year we will publish at least two issues of the magazine – in print as well as on our website, with submissions open to all students and members. We will be opening the submissions for the magazine at the beginning of 2023/24, so keep your eyes peeled to begin creating work!
- Editorial meetings at least once a week, allowing the committee and all Clare members to collaborate and share ideas on the direction of the issue.
- Fun events focused on the arts such as our popular Issue Launch Party for each issue, exhibitions, panel discussions, screenings and recitals. This year, we hope to hold a flagship Clare Exhibition on campus centred on work of the LSE and London creative communities, Q and A nights with London poets, artists, photographers and screenings and panel discussions of films in the art community.
- Social events throughout the year, including pub nights, social events with other creative societies and the Creative Network Fairs in the Venue. We hope to hold more events this year allowing members to get to know each other and grow the arts community on campus!
- Regular collaborations with charities and movements to raise money and awareness for important causes, including our issue with Freedom of Mind LSE addressing mental health through arts, and art workshops with Hands off LSE and the United Nations Society charity fundraising team.
- Editorial sessions with the Clare team, allowing members to get involved with the production of the issue – from conception to design and curation. Members can learn how to use industry-specific software such as InDesign, discuss ideas for their work, and edit and develop the work of our contributors. We don’t require any prior experience, and our opportunities are open to everyone!
Interested in being a part of the Clare community? We look forward to welcoming new creative minds to our community, and have created a space to ask any questions you may have about the magazine and how you can get involved!
Join our WhatApp group: https://chat.whatsapp.com/DCs8owkjUU96TMyAVooNdl !!!!!!
Welcome to the 2023/24 AU page.
Make sure you buy an AU membership to gain full access to all the exclusive events and campaigns the AU will be hosting this year!
Follow us on Instagram, our main platform of communication, at @lseathleticsunion to stay up to date with the latest and greatest.
We hope you are all looking forward to this year’s Golden Era!