Who we are
Part business, part charity, part membership body – students’ unions are all seriously fun places to work. They are organisations in their own right. Professionally run, but different. Professional teams support elected student leaders to make change, improve lives and fulfil potential; we help make it happen.
Founded in 1897, LSE Students' Union is one of the oldest Students' Unions in the UK and is the representative and campaigning body for students at The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). Like other Students' Unions, it also funds and facilitates student activities of campus, including societies, sports clubs through the Athletics Union (AU), the Media Group and Raising and Giving (RAG) charitable fundraising initiatives.
About the job
LSESU is looking for someone who is highly organised and passionate about student experience to join our Representation Team. You will need to have a good eye for detail, a proactive approach, and be willing to get stuck into all aspects of student democracy. The successful candidate will support the Representation Team in the delivery of LSESU’s Democracy Review and elections, alongside other key activities.
This role will involve supporting with a variety of tasks, including liaising with key stakeholders, engagement and outreach planning, and database administration. This is the ideal opportunity for someone with an ability to work collaboratively with people, and a passion for delivering high quality opportunities for membership engagement.
Please note this is a fixed term position for 2 years.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a highly motivated team player who is passionate about delivering change within a dynamic and democratic organisation. The successful candidate will have great communication skills and will be able to work with a variety of stakeholders. An interest in democratic procedure and processes, a commitment to equality and diversity, and an ability to handle politically sensitive situations, are all key to the successful delivery of this role.
Further to the above, we’re also looking for someone who is proficient in both Microsoft Office, and various social media platforms, and who holds excellent time management skills.
Most importantly, we’re looking for someone who wants to get stuck in, contribute to an effective team dynamic, and make a difference. Students’ Unions are innovative, dynamic places to work and we’re so excited about what we’ve got in store for LSE students.
Because you’re excited by the challenge! The exact opposite of corporate, we’re progressive, daring and creative individuals working to make a difference in unconventional workplaces.
Benefits and Perks
In return for your passion and experience we offer:
- 25 days holidays per year
- Additional closure periods at Christmas and Easter
- Free LSE Students’ Union gym membership, advice from dedicated professionals, with a wide range of activities including yoga classes, dance classes, pilates classes
- Cycle to Work scheme enabling significant savings on bicycle purchase
- Access to LSE staff training courses
- Ability to purchase TOTUM (NUS) card giving wide range of discounts
- Flexibility for work-life balance
- Interest free Travel loan
- 10% cafe discount
- Free eye exams
- Employee Assistance Program - external consultants providing advice and counselling on a broad range of issues
Want to apply?
Please follow this link and follow the instructions to apply. We ask you to prepare and upload three documents:
- Covering Letter
- Equal Opportunities Form.
We want to ensure all systems, policies and processes are free from bias or discrimination and are fair and accessible, therefore we will only share your covering letter with the shortlisting committee. Please do not include any personal information, such as your name or contact details in this letter. If you are selected for an interview, we will then share your CV with the interview panel.
In your cover letter, please address the following three questions:
- Paying particular attention to the job description and person specification, please tell us why you believe you are most suitable for this role?
- Please tell us about your values, attitudes and behaviours and why these would be important in the role you are applying for.
- Please tell us about a time where you have had to juggle multiple priorities from different people and how you handled this.
Interviews will be held for shortlisted candidates on Thursday, September 8th. If you are unable to make these dates, please let us know in the ‘notes’ section of the application portal.
If you would like to have an informal chat about this role please contact Sinead at email@example.com
For more information regarding the role, please refer to the job description.