Hello! The LSESU Film Society is a welcoming space for cinephiles and lovers of film. Our main focus is on films outside the traditional Hollywood blockbusters, to expand your appreciation for cinema beyond the commonplace. From award-winning indie films, to classics from Hong Kong, as well as the best of modern British cinema, we would love for you to join us in exploring the varieties of films available today. Founded in 2010, the aim of the LSESU Film Society is to entertain, educate and challenge the LSE community through the medium of cinema. But beyond that, we wish to provide for you a community of like-minded individuals, for you to find some really awesome people to talk about the films you like with.
Our membership fee is £4 for the entire year, and purchasing a membership to our society will give you full access to ALL our events, socials, and subsidised excursions this year. Your membership fee goes to funding our movie licences, special events, and providing the refreshments and subsidies you will enjoy.
As a member of this society, you join a community of enthusiastic, film-loving individuals. We are a welcoming society -- whether you love action flicks, slapstick comedy, or the most abstract arthouse cinema, you will find friends with similar tastes.
Events and Activities
We have an in-person screening every week on campus, with some snacks provided. Under extraordinary circumstances, these might have to be moved online, in which case it will be held over Discord. We also host a film-themed pub quiz each term, with prizes to be handed out to the winners. Typically, we hold an annual trip to the Berlinale, however this is subject to revision due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Also, a reminder about Give-It-A-Go events: you don't need a membership to participate, so feel free to drop by even if you're not a member! We'll be glad to have you.
Other activities such as pub quizzes and socials will be announced in the following weeks, so be sure to check this page and our socials for updates. We have loads of exciting ideas for you to get in on: collaborations with other societies, and more intimate get-togethers like picnics.
How to access our virtual events on Discord
Our screenings may occasionally have to be held virtually this term. To facilitate this, we will be utilising the Discord server. This server will be the main program through which our virtual screenings and post-movie discussions will be held. It’s also a community with which you will be able to talk to fellow film enthusiasts easily -- with specific channels for your favourite films, genres, directors and more throughout the year. There is no fuss with Zoom links -- just a reliable, consistent place to visit every week.
For those unfamiliar with Discord, it’s an incredible platform to hold discussions and meetings on, as well as for chatting with your fellow society members virtually. Here’s how you get started:
- Download the Discord application, or open it in your browser (we recommend downloading for ease of use): [https://discord.com/]
- Create a free account. Use whatever name you feel comfortable - your pseudonym or your real name, just one that represents you!
- Join the server through our link.
- Play around! Explore the different functions and see which one you fancy. If there’s any specific channel you would like to see added, message the moderators (our committee members).
- Everything you need to know about how to use every room and channel on the server has been set out in the respective sections, with the additional server rules and housekeeping matters. If you have any other questions, do send us a message! We hope to see all of you there; we’re so excited to hang out with you all.
The committee is really excited to welcome new members. Please message us on Facebook Messenger (preferred for quicker responses). If you do not have Facebook, we are also contactable through our email, email@example.com.