Chat with us
LSE swimming is quickly becoming one of the most popular clubs at the university and now has more than 80 official members. We cater to a large variety of skill sets and abilities, and have decidicated lanes during our training sessions for swimmers of different abilities, ranging from beginners through to competititve swimmers.
In these sessions, beginners can choose to free swim or they can be helped with their technique from one of the team’s committee members. For the intermediate and competitive swimmers, each session with have a structured programme created by the team captains that everyone will follow. These will typically range between 1,800m - 2,500m and will include technique sessions, short distance sessions and long-distance sessions to ensure that our members improve at all aspects of swimming. At the end of each session, we will often have some fun relay races, which our members have really enjoyed!
In terms of competitions against other universities, the main events we attend are part of the London Swimming League. Throughout the year, we typically attend three swimming galas against many other London universities including UCL, King’s and Imperial. These are very relaxed events where people of all swimming abilities can gain some experience of swimming competitively.
In addition, as the club grows and more competitive swimmers join the team, we hope to be able attend the BUCS events that are organised in Michaelmas and Lent term. These are more serious competitions than the London League where the focus will be on the competitive swimmers in the team. We hope to attend as many competitions as possible this year, however, due to Covid-19, there are doubts as to which competitions will go ahead.
Throughout the year, we run numerous social events. Every Wednesday evening, the whole team gets together to socialise before we head to the AU’s social event at the famous Zoo Bar & Club. Mixed in with these weekly socials, we usually organise around 3 or 4 club dinners throughout the year where the whole team goes out for a meal, typically a curry, burger or a Chinese. We also attend several events organised by the AU, including Carol and the AU ball. All of these events are a fantastic way to get to know others within the team and help to build team spirit!
All our training takes place at Oasis Sports Centre, 32 Endell St, West End, London WC2H 9AG - https://www.better.org.uk/leisure-centre/london/camden/oasis-sports-centre.
- Monday 4pm-5pm
- Thursday 6pm-7pm
- Saturday 4pm-5pm
We have 3 different swimming memberships to cater to every student’s needs:
- Competitive: This gives you access to all of our weekly training sessions where you will be swimming in a dedicated competitive swimmers lane and following a programme created by the 1st team captain. You will also be able to take part in all of the competitions we enter throughout the year, including all London League and BUCS events
- Fitness: This gives you access to our weekly training sessions, during which you will follow a programme created by the 2nd team captain and choose to swim in an intermediate or beginner lane depending on your ability
- Social: This membership only gives you access to our socials throughout the year, such as our socials on Wednesday evening or the AU ball
We will be hosting some free give-it-a-go sessions at the start of term, so feel free to come along to these before you purchase your membership.
Events and Activities
Over the course of the year, we host a wide number of events including:
- Training every Monday, Thursday and Saturday at Oasis Sports Centre
- Two London League events during Michaelmas term and one during Lent term
- BUCS in Michaelmas and Lent term
- Regular socials every Wednesday evening
The committee is really excited to welcome new members and we have a dedicated Facebook page and a WhatsApp group for any questions you may have.
We’re also hosting two Zoom calls on Thursday 24th and Friday 25th September from 9am to 5pm BST, where you'll be able to meet the committee and ask us some questions - the links are below!
Thursday 24th September: https://lse.zoom.us/j/94655229987
Friday 25th September: https://lse.zoom.us/j/91074696146