About the role
As Activities and Development Officer, you will be one of LSESU’s full-time, paid Sabbatical Officers. The Sabbatical Officers represent all students at LSE and lead on major campaigns, strategic developments, projects and events.
Specifically, you will be responsible for the development of LSESU sports clubs, societies and the student Media Groups. You will help organise events, such as the Freshers’ Fair, and will work closely with the RAG President and the AU President on their campaigns and projects.
You will also chair the Activities Committee and sit on School decision-making bodies, including building project boards.
All Sabbatical Officers are also members of the Trustee Board, which has the ultimate legal and financial responsibility for the Students’ Union, and the Executive Committee which is responsible for defending the rights of student members and campaigning on issues affecting them.
Your core duties are outlined in our bye laws as follows however, as with all elected roles, you will have a lot of freedom over the projects you take on.
- Direct the volunteering programmes
- Direct the Union’s Student activities work
- Instigator of new and developing extra curricular activities
- Lead projects that enhance the personal development of members
- You will have the opportunity to make a lasting and meaningful impact on student life at LSE
- You get to take action on the things you are most passionate about
- It’s a great development opportunity and there’s plenty of opportunities to develop your leadership, communication and organisational skills
- This is a full time role with a competitive salary of £30,134
- There’s a great holiday package: 25 days plus Christmas and Easter closure dates
- You can access the LSESU gym for free
- You will receive support with your projects and your role in general
- You will receive a full induction, as well as the opportunity to attend further training and conferences throughout the year
Some important details
- You will hold the post from the start of July 2022 until the end of June 2023. You may decide to get involved a little sooner with handover meetings however there is no obligation. We can also be flexible if you are a PG student and are still studying during the summer
- Hours are full time (37 hours per week) however there is a lot of flexibility and you will sometimes need to work outside of office hours in order to carry out your role
- The role is normally based in the SSH building (3rd floor office) however LSESU staff and sabbatical officers have been working from home at points during the pandemic, and are currently working in a mixture of home and office working.