About the role
As General Secretary, you would be one of LSESU's full-time, paid Sabbatical Officers and the primary liaison between LSE and the Students’ Union. The Sabbatical Officers represent all LSE students and lead on major campaigns, strategic developments, projects and events.
Specifically, your role involves representing the student body and setting the agenda within both the School and LSESU. You will actively promote the needs and desires of students and lead on the development and delivery of initiatives, campaigns and projects to improve the overall student experience at LSE.
You will sit on LSE’s decision-making bodies: including LSE Council; Finance and Estates Committee; Ethics Committee, Honorary Awards Committee and Governance Committee. This is a meeting-heavy role, with various chairing responsibilities.
Your core duties are outlined in our bye laws as follows however, as with all elected roles, you will have a lot of freedom over the projects you take on.
- Direct the Union’s representative work
- Union Spokesperson
- Chair the Executive Committee
- Chair of the Trustee Board
- Primary liaison between the School and the Union, and responsible for coordinating Student representation on School Committees
- Ex-officio delegate to conferences, councils and other decision-making bodies of affiliated organizations
- You will have the opportunity to make a lasting and meaningful impact on student life at LSE
- You get to take action on the things you are most passionate about
- It’s a great development opportunity and there’s plenty of opportunities to develop your leadership, communication and organisational skills
- This is a full time role with a competitive salary of £30,134
- There’s a great holiday package: 25 days plus Christmas and Easter closure dates
- You can access the LSESU gym for free
- You will receive support with your projects and your role in general
- You will receive a full induction, as well as the opportunity to attend further training and conferences throughout the year
Some important details
- You will hold the post from the start of July 2022 until the end of June 2023. You may decide to get involved a little sooner with handover meetings however there is no obligation. We can also be flexible if you are a PG student and are still studying during the summer
- Hours are full time (37 hours per week) however there is a lot of flexibility and you will sometimes need to work outside of office hours in order to carry out your role
- The role is normally based in the SSH building (3rd floor office) however LSESU staff and sabbatical officers have been working from home at points during the pandemic, and are currently working in a mixture of home and office working.